Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Things That Make Me Happy #3

Planting things.

Last year at the very end of the summer, my husband and I scored 3 crepe myrtles for 50% off the original price. We planted the two smaller ones quite a while ago, and they've been doing very well, despite the snow we got here a couple of weeks ago. One is pink (Pink Velour) and in our backyard, and one is white (Natchez), which we planted in our front yard, near the side of the house. (They haven't bloomed yet, but the tags said they'd be those colors.) Yesterday we (okay, mostly my hubby because I was kind of working, but I helped some) planted the largest one. It is a Sioux crepe myrtle and will have pink flowers. We planted it closer to the street. Next year we'll plant bluebonnet seeds around the base of it.

I love planting things because watching trees, flowers, shrubs, and plants grow gives me hope. It renews my spirit.

And...

...because I like getting dirty. It's fun. And I love water, so getting dirty is a perfect excuse for getting wet.

I love spring.

2 comments:

Gail (but you can call me G) said...

I hate the planting part, but I love looking at the results. I love to look at my flowers, and prune them and talk to them and stuff. If only I had someone living here who liked to plant . . .

Sunshine said...

I talk to my roses quite often. They're my babies...after the Rusty Dog, of course!