Sunday, June 24, 2012

Musing on Dusting

Who in their right mind actually enjoys dusting? It seems to be an effort destined for failure, as the day after sweeping over all my furniture and objets d'art (a.k.a., knick-knacks) it is already adorned with new dust. However, I recently realized how enjoyable this household chore can be. The key? Memories and gratitude. For example, the other day as I was dusting, I thought of my maternal grandmother and how much she loves me as I dusted the Japanese vase she had passed along to me. The glass starfish reminded me of the trip my husband and I took to Hawai'i a few years ago. And the furniture? Some of the pieces are family pass-alongs (loved and not-so-loved), and some are purchases made by my husband and me. Each piece reminds me to be thankful that we have them and have a house in which to put them.

From now on, I pray that dusting continues to be a pleasurable blessing, not a chore to be dreaded and endured. And I pray the same for you. :)

No comments: