Friday, November 18, 2005

Made of Dust

Lately I, like many others, have begun to feel a little stressed about how much I have to do. A turkey to roast, Christmas gifts to purchase and mail, a checkbook to balance...and New Year's Day will bring the pressure to resolve to do better in the next year.

However, I have also come to realize and am coming to grips with the fact that none of us will ever feel as if he or she is finally on top of everything. Our ducks will never be in a completely straight row. We'll miss the occasional dot of an "i" and be too tired to cross that "t." And I think it's meant to be that way.

The Bible says we are made of dust. So why do we feel that we need to have the perfect Thanksgiving centerpiece, work out at least 3 times a week, regardless of whatever may arise, and keep to our regimented schedule of housecleaning?

Structure is a good thing. But the sooner we realize that we are not superhuman, the better we'll feel. And I think we'll then have more energy to attack those tasks. Plus, I think God wants us to understand that we can't achieve perfection on our own. Some people may think of this with frustration. I embrace the thought with relief.

In light of these thoughts, I feel much better in my skin and my mind is more at ease. I'm happy with my imperfection.

No comments: